So this is a potentially Part 1/Part2 situation…But for now we are going to cover a few of the Gainesville Trysts that some of the Bourbon Meyer writers have experienced with sports related figures (mostly Gator athletes)…Let’s get to the “tails”…
Bourbon Meyer has had the following run’ins (leave stories of your run’ins in the comments)….
- Brett Nelson – Literally bumped into him coming out of men’s room at the Gainesville Airport. This was before he got Teddy Dupay kicked off the basketball team.
- Teddy Dupay – Hooped with him at Florida Gym. He was shorter than expected but could shoot just as expected. Now he’s a pot-head. I really love this picture of Dupay.
- Udonis Haslem – He tried to dunk on us at Florida Gym. We had to shove him in the hips to make him lay it in instead. In hindsight kind of wished he would have dunked on us now.
- Udonis Halsem and Teddy Dupay – Let’s just say they were in a compromising position (riding a scooter together).
- Mike Miller – Sat two tables away from him at Gator Corner. We convinced a girl we were with that he was on a scholarship from McDonalds to go to UF (he was a McDonald’s All-American).
- Ladarius Halton – tried to set a pick on him at Florida Gym. He literally knocked us over. Probably one of the most embarrassing times on the basketball court (err…ok there’s been worse). At least he broke Nelson’s face once.
- Ronnie King and Jabar Gaffney – they were both residents of a floor that we were the Resident Assistant. Jabar was caught “doing something bad” and had to slum it in our residence halls and Ronnie was a walk on and I think he just liked the girls in our area. Ronnie was a great guy.
- Steve Spurrier – He sat next to us at the Racquet Club for a money Chik-fil-a sandwich the first week we were on campus. His head was huge, his body was skinny, and his nose was enormous.
- Donnell Harvey – Ok, so we never met him BUT we did see a soccer mom van with “Harvey’s Nuts in Your Face” written on the windows. We really wanted an excuse to put that in this post.
- Alex Brown – Came to a spades tournament we put together in the Murphree Commons.
- Billy Donovan – We went to the Catholic Church on the “other side of town” one Sunday, and he and his son walked into mass in basically gym attire (very surreal). We figure he probably tithes enough he can wear whatever he wants.
- Digger Phelps (pre-matching ties and markers) – Heckled him while he was setting up to do a College Basketball show for the 2000 Final Four
- Dick Vitale – Bum rushed him on a downtown Indianapolis street, he promptly ducked into a hotel lobby to avoid us.
- Tim Tebow – He touched us once (errrr….maybe that was just a dream).
- Urban Meyer – Gave a talk at a housing Residence Hall event. He gave a quote at the beginning of the event and about half way through he asked one of the residents to repeat it to him. He immediately started in on the kid when he couldn’t remember the quote. He gave him 10 seconds to spit it out and threatened him with 25 pushup if he couldn’t. Then Urban commenced to count it down while the guy is trying to talk! Imagine the head football coach yelling “10, 9, 8…” about 3 feet from you while you’re bumbling to remember something you heard 20 minutes ago. Needless to say, the guy wound up remembering the quote and pushups were avoided.
- Lou Holtz – We were at the Atlanta Bread Company having dinner before class and Lou Holtz walked in and stood in line. We walked up and said, “Excuse me, but you’re Lou Holtz aren’t you?” He just smiled and nodded as we towered over his 5′ 2″, 135 lb. frame. He was very pleasant to talk with. We asked him what he was doing in Gainesville, and he said, “Oh, just getting some soup for dinner.” He was joking, of course, and then informed us he was here to talk with the Gators on Urban’s request
- Ciatrick Fason – This isn’t our story, but it’s still hilarious. Ciatrick Fason (also known as C-4) was in a large lecture class with one of our acquantances. The prof asked everyone to say their name and something they like. When it came around to Ciatrick, he stood up and said, “My name is C-4. I like porn and white women.” And then he sat back down.
- Chris Leak – He was so unrecognizable that we probably bumped into him like 30 times and never realized it.